Say you walk into a hardware store, and the clerk asks you, “What do you want?”
Your answer: “A quarter-inch drill bit.”
But that isn’t really what you want. What you want is a quarter-inch hole. The drill bit merely gets you there.
This is a lesson that every software provider should take to heart. Your customers want to achieve something specific, and it’s your job to not only make that possible, but easy.
Keeping your focus on addressing customer wants and needs isn’t just important. It’s the difference between success and failure.
Success metrics that matter most
Focusing everything you do around customer wants and needs is an enormous, exhaustive undertaking. But it pays off. It pays off in adoption—in our case, 4,000+ customers and counting. And it pays off in industry recognition.
Recognition takes many forms, but the kind we value above all else is based on the reviews and ratings from customers. These are the firsthand opinions of finance, sales, and workforce planning professionals who develop budgets, forecasts, what-if scenarios, reports, and more using our Business Planning Cloud. If anyone knows whether our efforts to focus on their needs are on target, it’s them.
So we were excited and honored to learn that we’ve been recognized as an April 2019 Gartner Peer Insights Customers’ Choice for Cloud Financial Planning and Analysis Solutions. If you’re not familiar with Gartner Peer Insights, check it out: It’s a comprehensive enterprise IT product and service review platform that hosts more than 165,000 customer reviews across 320 market categories—a bit like a deep-dive Yelp for enterprise software. In categories where Gartner receives enough reviews, the company recognizes the highest-rated vendors with a Customers’ Choice distinction.
Peruse the 169 Adaptive Insights reviews on Gartner Peer Insights, and three themes emerge: Our Business Planning Cloud is powerful, easy, and fast.
- “Powerful tool to take your model to a new level.” Financial Analyst
- “A brilliant solution that is developing a new approach to business planning. Adaptive Insights is a multifunctional tool with a robust and well-thought-out suite of features.” Quality Assurance Manager
- “Information is handled in real time. The company has been able to make better decisions based on estimates, forecasts, and reports.”Plant Support Engineering
- “It is vеrу еаsу tо usе. The usеr dоеs nоt hаvе tо spеnd tоо muсh tіmе tо fullу undеrstаnd аll оf іts funсtіоns аnd fеаturеs.” Project Manager
- “Allows users to collaborate more easily with partners, as well as model, analyze, and report on business performance continuously.” SOC MFG Engineer
- “Makes planning easy while also allowing us to customize fields, sheets, and versions to our individual business needs.” Financial Analyst
- “The product is amazing. It is very fast, dynamic, and easy to use.” Senior Financial Analyst
- “Impressive and fast results. Now we get information much faster, including reports, analytics, and trend prognosis.” Business Analyst
- “Made the forecasting/budgeting process much more efficient.” Controller
We understand that designing our software to meet customers’ needs and help them succeed involves every aspect of their experience. So, yes, we have an intuitive, self-service interface. And that’s critical because in business, everybody plans—so it’s our job to make planning easy.
But in business planning, addressing the full scope of customer needs requires more than a user-friendly interface. It requires the ability to model virtually anything in your business without hitting limits on the number of your dimensions. It demands innovations that enable fast and efficient performance, such as recalculating only those cells in your model that have changed. It calls for unified planning, where all individual plans feed into the corporate financial plan, and a change to one automatically flows to all others. It requires seamless data integration with third-party platforms.
Every day is game day
In our business, we have to deliver every time a financial analyst models anticipated revenue or a sales operations manager sets quotas and balances territories. Every single interaction with the product is up for scrutiny. When you provide software that people access anytime from anywhere, every day is game day.
So we listen to customers. We talk to them face to face and encourage their input. And we pay close attention to their feedback on sites like Gartner Peer Reviews. Their comments drive how we evolve our software and fine-tune our offerings.
Remember the drill bit analogy? Some customers talk in terms of software features—that drill bit. Others imagine capabilities or outcomes they want—that quarter-inch hole—and leave the specifics to us. We can work with either, but it’s always about helping them do what they want in a way that’s powerful, easy, and fast.
Every Gartner Peer Insights review can be a priceless compass for a company that wants to navigate the road ahead while keeping customers at the center of all it does. It lets us know we’re on the right track and focusing on the right things. And negative feedback? That’s just as valuable—perhaps even more so.
So this latest recognition means a lot. And we’re working hard to remain a customers’ choice.
Visit our Customer Success section to learn how Adaptive Insights has helped companies big and small transform FP&A with active planning.
Gartner Peer Insights Customers’ Choice constitute the subjective opinions of individual end-user reviews, ratings, and data applied against a documented methodology; they neither represent the views of, nor constitute an endorsement by, Gartner or its affiliates.